When a pattern of negativistic, hostile and defiant behaviour lasting at least 6 months, during which four or more of the following are present:
- often loses temper
- often argues with adults
- often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults requests or rules
- often deliberately annoys people
- often blames others for his or her mistakes or behaviour
- is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
- is often angry or resentful
- is often spiteful and vindictive
Note: Consider a criterion met only if the behaviour occurs more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level.
- The disturbance in behaviour causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic or occupational functioning.
- The behaviours do not occur exclusively during the course of a Psychotic or Mood Disorder.
- Criteria are not met for Conduct Disorder, and if the individual is aged 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.